Monday, October 25, 2010

His Tender Sword

The one thought that kept resonating in my mind this whole week was "It takes humility to admit you are wrong."  I felt pleased with it, like something that tickles your senses and you want to put it on your FB status or tweet it.

I have learnt by now though, that when a thought like that one won't let up then it has to be God.  He just loves me too much to let me skip over it so quickly.  Yet I ask "Are You talking to me Lord?  I have no clue what this is about"  I hear one word "Exactly!"  And I'm thinking ...here we go again. 

Fear and excitement at the suspense and the thrill of discovery.  What will He say to me this time?   What will He reveal to me?  I love those moments as much as I dread them.  It's a sort of an uncomfortable place.  I don't suppose any of you have been there or have you?

The best place I find to go when I feel these prompting is the Word of God of course.  Sometimes He tells me where to go chapter and verse.  Sometimes I just continue reading what I had been already, only this time I'm listening.

So on this particular occasion, I mulled over the thought "It takes humility to admit that I am wrong"  So what is it that I am so proud that I can't see is grieving the heart of my Lord?  My immediate response is to get on my face and say Lord I'm sorry for whatever it is.  An almost routine response, while sincerely wanting to deal with this and let my life go on.  He asks" what are you sorry about? I'm uncomfortable now...whatever Lord I am really sorry.  Can't He see the sincerity of my heart I wonder.  And He says "If you don't know what it is you won't change a thing."  

I decided to look up that word Humility in the Bible (not the word Pride mind you)  I was almost looking for a Word Spa to make me feel good about myself.  Turned out to be more like a workout, your body aches yet you feel good at the end of it. I have discovered that with the Lord it always turns out for my good.

Every verse I read on humility caused me to be cut to the heart.

Proverbs 18:12 Haughtiness comes before disaster, but humility before honor.

Philippians 2:5 Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility:]

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves].

Ephesians 4:2 Living as becomes you] with complete lowliness of mind (humility) and meekness (unselfishness, gentleness, mildness), with patience, bearing with one another and making allowances because you love one another.

These were just a few, and by now I definitely knew what I was repenting about.

I just love the Word of God.  It has the most amazing way of doing a work deep in your soul.  It cuts, and cleans the wound and then applies soothing ointment and binds up your wounds.  There is never any fear of deep gashes being left open and exposed. 

Hebrews 4:12 say "For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart."

But it does take humility to admit that we have wounds deep within our soul that need to be bound up.  It takes humility to admit we need a Saviour to save us from our sins.  Let no one deceive you that yours is a hopeless situation.  Jesus said  "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] (Matthew 11:28)

As I reflect on His goodness and quieten my heart, I pray Lord "Let Your tender mercy and loving-kindness come to me that I may live, for Your law is my delight! (Psalm 119:77)

Wielding His Sword,
GideonsMantle

No comments:

Post a Comment